The University of Toronto is an integral part of the city’s cultural landscape, and at the “heart” of that landscape lays Hart House. Hart House is one of the first student centres to ever exist. Originally built in 1919, the building was gifted to the University of Toronto by the Massey family through the Massey Foundation. The family wanted to create an environment where the students could gather to partake in extra-curricular activities together. Vincent Massey used to say, “The bricks and mortar are but the bones, the community must provide the spirit,” and Hart House is a perfect example of this. It has become a place that inspires change, provokes thought and conversation and helps shape the minds of tomorrow’s leaders.
Architect Henry Sproatt designed the building. The exterior incorporates the Collegiate Gothic style using only the finest materials. Inside, visitors will find high-ceilings and Italian travertine floors throughout. Today, Hart House is open to both students of the University and the public. It is frequently used as a venue for weddings, various conventions, meetings and other celebratory events.